Your website is a key marketing tool. But no matter how good it looks, it’s still got to ‘speak’ to your potential customers.
If it doesn’t convey the right messages about your products and your brand it won’t work as effectively.
A professional copywriter ensures:
- your site has the right words – and the right amount of words – on every page;
- your web copy is integrated with your other marketing collateral to ensure consistency of message;
- your content is about satisfying your potential customers’ needs (it’s not all about your company);
- the copy is optimised for search engines (SEO); and
- potential customers aren’t put off by sloppy grammar or spelling, long-windedness, acronyms and other sins!
Written for browsing
Writing for the web is not the same as writing a brochure or a sales letter.
People browse web pages, they don’t read them.
They want to get in, grab some info and get out again – as fast as possible.
You need short, sharp copy, with eye-catching headings, sub-headings and bullet points.
And because web pages aren’t static like a brochure, a copywriter can strategically add links to other pages, to relevant documents or to other websites to strengthen your message.
Benefits not features
Many businesses fail to highlight the benefits of their product, instead focussing on features.
A copywriter uses carefully crafted words to highlight your product’s benefits because this taps into the emotional side of the brain – moving someone from browsing to buying.
Former US President Richard Nixon was right (for once) when he said, “People are persuaded by reason, but moved by emotion.”
Keeping up appearances
Content is still king, so don’t let your site go ‘stale’ with old or out-dated copy.
Keep it fresh with e-newsletters, media releases, blogs, product updates, marketing campaigns, or even video.
If you don’t have the resources, talk to me about how I can help.
Just need a polish? If you’re not sure about the quality of the content on your site (especially after reading this), give me a call.
I can run my editorial eye over your copy and recommend changes that you can quickly update using your site’s Content Management System.